Saturday, July 19, 2008

Denver to Ogden


I swear I saw a field just outside of Denver that contained two to three camels. Then me and Jenn ecountered a town (population: 1) or something of a town called Buford. The beginning of that day was a bit lengthy. I entertained Jenn by getting really into the first six or seven songs on Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.


Then a most surreal "event" occured. I will choose to describe our time at a rest stop in Rock Springs as an event. First, we encountered road construction, so the exit to the rest area was not clearly marked to begin with. As we went through some cones and saw little or no signs of civilization, Jenn asked, "Are we supposed to be driving on this, or are we offroading?" And at that point I thought we were offroading (honestly). Then as we went under some bridges and came to a dirt road intersection, I said some bad words and wondered what kind of "micky mouse operation this was". A guy in another vehicle was laughing at my confusion. When we finally traveled through about a two mile labrynth and found a gas station, we were mesmorized by not only the people, and the clothing and dialect, but also the choice of subject content contained within various conversations. Nobody had sleeves, and one notable discussion included a guy who had come across a small fortune and was fighting off the ladies who had a newfound interest in his recently fattened wallet. Jenn was funny because she made little attempt to hide her laughter at this man and his $80,000 reward, and his heigtened status within the dating community.


When you travel across the country, it's great to stop and observe the diversity. Later that day, we stopped in Ogden and left for Boise, but I still think I need to give a little more time, to try to describe that leg of the tour. Right now, I'm in a Panera Bread in Seattle and I need to move on, but you will hear from me soon. I will keep you posted. Yinz are the best. Blessings from the road.

3 comments:

Ricky... said...

Glad you are having a great time Ron! Looking forward to seeing you soon! We've prayed for your safe travel!

Blessings!

Rich

Ryan said...

Good to see that you are doing well and enjoying life. I got the link to your blog I believe from the church website. I dunno. One thing about driving through some of these areas is that there isn't much good on the radio or it is all spanish stuff. Sorry this doesn't pertain much with the post. Hehe. God bless and eat a PB milkshake for me. :)

Big Whit

BK said...

Looks about right!

: )